PAID AD

PAID AD

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Wealth, Power & Influence

Damn it…..how many times must I see or read stories like the image above where three or four white boys or men came together to form a company that goes on to become a very profitable and viable institution? It seem as though each time I pick up a magazine or search the web reading some of my favorite business or tech publications, I come across these fairy tale success stories, and it’s never or hardly ever from or about my community.
When will my brothers, me included, understand that we need each other to conceive, work together, to build wealth driven mechanisms that can also be job creators? There is a deep need for my peer group to join hands and create a systematic formula that can be replicated to ensure that we’re building generational wealth, power and influence, where we live, work and play.
By doing so, this is the only way we can not only save our communities, but save ourselves from a life of constant disappointment or limited growth. If we get this right, never again should our community utter from their lips that ‘black folks can’t stick together’ or they ‘don’t support each other.’ That narrative desperately needs to be altered! The propaganda has been inserted into our psyche and it’s gonna be hard to change the mindset of a race of people, but we must try and try hard. Hard work must be at the forefront for not just survival mode but for sustainability.
George Clooney, a beloved, successful and rich actor, just became wealthier and more powerful and influential after the company he co-founded with two other men was bought for over $700 million. Here's the headline in a recent digital publication:
Billion Dollar Drink . . .You want to know what’s cool? How about a smooth tequilia? Along with friends, George Clooney and co-founders Rande Gerber and Mike Meldman just sold his tequila company Casamigos to alcohol beverage giant Diageo. Casamigos, which the trio started in 2013, was born “by accident” and has been a huge success. Gerber told CNBC that it was “the fastest growing ultra-premium tequila” in the country.
That’s probably why Diageo will pay $700 million upfront, with the potential for $300 million more in performance-based payouts over 10 years. The deal is expected to close in the second half of this year. Clooney and business partners didn't set out to make money by launching Casamigos Tequilla. While building their side-by-side vacation homes in Cabo San Lucas, the trio were spending a lot of time in Mexico — and consequently, drinking a lot of tequila.
"As you do when you're in Mexico, you drink a lot of tequila," Gerber tells CNBC. "After a couple of months trying a lot of different tequilas, George turned to me and said, 'Why don't we just make our own? One that's perfect for us to drink?'" That's just what they did.....
After reading this amazing collaboration between these three white men, I became pissed, hurt and sad. Of course, I’m excited for their earned accomplishment, but what drove my emotions on a downward spiral was the fact that as much I talk about the need for building wealth, I sometimes think that my Works of Words are falling on deaf ears. Especially when I look around and don’t see brothers in my community coming together to take an innovative idea from point A to Z. I see single entrepreneurs (like myself) starting products, goods or services, but most experts will express that two or three heads are much better than one when building institutions.
From this point on, I'll focus most of TBTNews’ content on my three best subjects: Building Wealth, Mentoring (fatherhood) and Leadership. I will stay clear of politics and other worthless matters that don't move our community quickly up the food chain. Mainly because my brothers on black talk radio are handling their business in terms of focusing on politics and policy. Good, bad or indifferent, they can have that space.
I’m gonna concentrate on more relevant power moves that rely strictly on me and my brothas and sistas coming together to find common ground for wealth creation, power platforms, and influential access to people, places and things. Until the next edition........ Peace and One Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment